Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A Shimmy vs. a Shinny


I went up north this weekend, you might say to yourself if you are someone who talks to themselves, well hell how farther north does this chick want to go. She is already in the land where penguins go to vacation. I went to Saskatoon which for those of you who are unfamiliar with Saskatchewan or in general don't know where Canada is, it is above the United States.

There is nothing like driving through the rolling prairie for one to become excited by the smallest things; like a tree, a valley which involves an incline and a decline and a grain silo. But you do learn to find the beauty in small things. The motto of Saskatchewan is the living sky and you do find it interesting. When the sun breaks through the sky and lights up a small part of a field you go wow because of the contrast between the colours. (Please notice how I am using the "u's" correctly in my spelling.)

We land up in Saskatoon, a beautiful city on a big old river that has water that moves. This excited me because down here in Regina, the creeks make no effort to move, so they freeze over and that is their own damn fault if they are going to pretend like they are a really long lake.

The women are very excited in Saskatoon about a game called Shinny. Now for the longest time I thought they were talking about Shimmying and I wondered why women would go outside in freaking freezing weather and take off their tops and shake their tits, thinking this is some northern custom I kept my fears and thoughts to myself. These are the same thoughts I keep to myself so that I don't sound more like a US citizen. Things like at the lesbian get togethers here in Regina they ask women from refraining from wearing perfume because some people are sensitive to these smells. My thought is quit serving frigging cabbage rolls at every meal and that would definitely cut down on smells that are offensive to a much bigger group. Tell me do you think it is smart to have a catered meal that involves cabbage rolls and then have a dance? Are they aware of what the juices of your stomach will do to a food group such as cabbage? I personally believe they great dust bowl of the thirties was was partially caused by the influx of cabbage rolls on the stomachs of the prairie people.

For those confused this is a shimmy by none other then Miss Indigo Blue from Seattle Washington and when I can say she is a shimmy queen I mean she can do twirl and a shimmy like no other.

Back to the Shimmy vs. Shinny debate discussion. The night before we were invited to attend one of these Shinny get togethers. I wanted to decline fearing frost bite on my nipples but because they are friends of my partner I agreed. We show up at an ice rink and for those of you who don't know Canada, there are as many ice rinks in Canada as there are swimming pools in California. On this ice are women in Tennis shoes, snow boots, ear muffs and assorted clothing. Running down the ice with a stick in hand chasing a tennis ball trying to get it in the other's goal. Me being the only person in Canada who doesn't have health care, declined repeatly to join in their fun for a couple of reasons.
1. I have walked on ice and have landed on my back, the thought of running full speed with a stick that mind you could put someone's eye out (if they had really big eyes) seems somewhat dangerous to me.
2. There is no two, just think about number one for a minute and tell me if I am not right.

Peer pressure being what it is I did end up on the ice playing Shinny. I found that women take offense to you putting a stick between their legs without previous permission especially when they are on your own team. That on the ice, people you thought liked you suddenly chase you if you have the tennis ball, therefore I tended to get rid of it as quickly as possible.

So in retrospect I believe in the future I would rather go out in a blizzard and do a shimmy half naked then run around on ice with a big stick being chased by a frenzy of northern canadian women.

No comments: