Sunday, January 21, 2007

Why they don't play Shinny in the States

Pretty obvious if you don't have nationalist health care, you wouldn't dare put your ass on the ice in boots a tennis ball and a hockey stick. Ya just don't. That is why the sport isn't big in the states. Well that and the states are a bit warmer then most of Canada. Remember we are the country that has Polar Bears going down the main streets of some towns.


Shinny last week I was called a cherry picker. This week I wish they would have called an ambulance. This sport is not a sport for the weak of heart but if you watch you might think we are all weak of brain.


So there we are with a few more added players then last week - 3, but one was a lawyer do I need to say more? With the added players the game picked up it's pace. Well not its pace but its injury factor. It started off pretty basic, a slip and fall and a slam down on their knees in the ice. This happened several times, sometimes with others involved other times more of a oh shit I'm on ice and bam, down they go. Like all good Canadian born and bred women, they would get up, brush themselves off and we would ask, are you ok and the response was, oh yeah, I'm fine. Then came the brain concussion. The individual got up we were concerned and asked, you ok and of course she replied, oh yeah fine I'm. She then shook her head twice and decided to play goalie for a bit. There was of course the attack of the killer attorney who took out one of our players. The attorney couldn't feel her fingers, but she hell she still had her other hand, so let's keep playing. I not having any health insurance had a sense that I was in a bizarre version of Monty Python and the Holy Grail done on ice (sort of like the IceCapades but with hockey sticks) Every time someone slammed down on the ice they got back up with the same fucking response. I was expecting at some point they were going to say, oh it's nothing but a flesh wound.
I could see this insanity was going to go on because these were strong like bull Canadian Women with National Health Insurance. I knew that death was the only thing that would stop this game if not that then a woman with no insurance.
So being the fabulous player I was moving gingerly down toward the opposing teams goal, waiting for my chance to mostly stay standing on the ice when it happened. The world turned, the feet moved quite wrong quite suddenly and without as much as a howdy doo gravity took over and I landed right on my tail bone. I rolled over on my stomach, did not shed a tear but with absolutely no grace or class said to one and all. I'm done. And hobbled away to lick my wounds I say this figuratively cause if you think after a fall like that or even if I hadn't fallen like that that I could reach around and lick my own back you must be crazy.
I sit here gingerly today telling you this story for your own good. If someone suggests a fun game of shinny, wait for a blizzard and walk off into the prairie, it won't hurt as much.

No comments: