Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Cherry Picking is not a term of endearment

In Shinny that is. That is the game where you stupidly and intentionally go on an ice rink in tennis shoes and hockey sticks and run around trying to hit a tennis ball. After about 10 minutes of going back and forth I figured, hell by the time I got to the other end of the rink the ball will be coming back my way so I stayed near the opposing teams goal. Barb kept calling me a cherry picker, I thought it was a compliment for some frigging reason, but no it is when you stand there and wait for someone to hit you the ball and you get a goal. I was in no way a cherry picker, I was happy if I kept upright which I didn't- fell 4 times. I also was told you can't run into the people who have the ball while screaming this I believe is called checking. For some reason they don't approve of you sticking your stick out and tripping the other players feet who have the ball especially if they are your spouse - this is called hooking and is frowned upon greatly. Oh yeah and if you hit someone elses stick as you go by and it accidently goes into their ribs rather sharply it is called spearing and for some fucking reason is considered in bad taste, once again especially if you do it to your spouse. I told them that since I was from America and since I was ignorant of their culture but wanted what they had (the ball most of the time) it was perfectly alright for me to bully, attack and abuse the opposing players

No comments: