Friday, June 23, 2006

Vacationing in Prince Albert Park

Let me first say that Northern Saskatchewan is absolutely beautiful country. The rolling wooded hills, with lakes and marshes is incredible. I could look at the slow moving streams and marshes as we drove north and never lost hope that I would see a moose. Unfortunately it was not the case this time. I did see a few elk and deer that were so used to humans you could get within 10 feet of them without them flinching. And to sit out on the porch of the cabin as the sun set around 9:30 at night and hear the loons calling each other made be grateful to be there.

Unfortunately it was hard to see the deer, or hear the loons from the hoards of hungry mosquitoes that as soon as I stepped outside the platoons of the blood thirsty bitches (because only the females are the blood suckers God knows what the males do while the females are fighting for the rights to our blood) come swarming in and it was hard to hear the loons from the continual slapping of my face and the buzzing in my ears. I now understand why the blood banks are constantly in need of blood donors, they are in direct competition with the billions of mosquitoes that live up here.

While driving up to the park Rose who was driving asked how far north have I ever been. I said, "This is the farthest North" 1 second passes "this is the farthest North" another second "This is the farthest North" She said Ok I get it. So I am very excited to say that I was up at the 53th Parallel. Which is pretty far north thank you.

Now let me say a word in defense of DEET the bug spray. After spending a weekend up there, if I was asked to inject this stuff into my veins, I would slap a tourniquet on my arm, slap the inside of my arm several times and find you a vein, cause those bugs have no mercy. I am not a wimp. We have them blood sucking flying freaks there, but June seems a particularly fine time for them.

I only got one mosquito bit the entire time I was there. But after considerable thought I think that the mosquitoes I met up with were from Fort McMurray Alberta. The buggers bit me once, only once yet I believe they all went to that one place and continued to feed off the vein, somewhat in the lines of an oil well.

I hope to visit again soon, with full body mosquito netting.

And truly there is nothing funnier then to watch your partner step outside and start slapping herself and yell out THESE BUGS ARE GOING TO MAKE ME GO INSANE. Really quite funny.

Quote from Mark Twain


He said that two of them could whip a dog, and that four of them could hold a man down; and except help come, they would kill him--"butcher him," as he expressed it. Referred in a sort of casual way--and yet significant way-- to "the fact that the life policy in its simplest form is unknown in Lake Providence--they take out a mosquito policy besides." He told many remarkable things about those lawless insects. Among others, said he had seen them try to vote. Noticing that this statement seemed to be a good deal of a strain on us, he modified it a little: said he might have been mistaken, as to that particular, but knew he had seen them around the polls "canvassing."- Life on the Mississippi

No comments: