Thursday, May 25, 2006

Taking Up Running

Since Regina is flat and well Regina is flat, I have chosen to take up running as a sport. It isn't exactly a sport as much as way get exercise and to socialize. Though I haven't gotten into the socialization process much because that involves carrying on a conversation and I would rather the air that I use be used to enter my body not talk about my life. This the Running Room would say is not running right. You are supposed to be able to talk while running. So every once and a while I will spew out a hello at someone coming towards me. This scares most people since with head phones on I must be screaming it them. Those walkers really aren't as sturdy as you would think. I have been responsible for a couple of roll overs because of my running.

I began running in March. We started out with a group of about 20 or so, but in March the wolves are hungry and foolishly some of these women were wearing this outfit:
They were slower then the rest of us, some were limping because of sore muscles and what can I say, when we got back from our first run, the numbers had dwindled. The Running Room has since learned that wearing moose outfits is a bad for groups of new runners. But on the upside it does make you want to stay in the front of the pack.
I have also learned that running in a thunder storm is bad business. Coming from the Northwest I realize this, don't stand under trees on top of the only hill in 10 miles. Don't wear aluminum hats of any kind and there is no way to dodge hail. I know these things.
So why is it that while running in a thunder storm the softball teams were out there playing softball with aluminium bats?
One other thing, why can't they make shorts that don't constantly have a desire and need to creep up my thighs, which makes me look like I am wearing some foolish diaper thing. Trying to pull them down is exhausting and dangerous because running while having your hand between your legs is not some thing an amateur should ever do.
This Saturday is my first 5k run. If you by chance see someone running, screaming out an occasional HELLO and wearing what looks like diapers, that would be me.

No comments: